Graduate Theology

Woman Studying Theology

Find Out More

Get in touch with us and find out more about our Graduate Theology Program.

Learn More


If you plan to apply for any federal student aid or Saint Meinrad grant, you must submit a FAFSA.

Get FAFSA information here

We have many generous benefactors committed to supporting lay ministry and theological education. Their gifts allow students like you to take advantage of the quality academic, spiritual and personal formation offered by our school. We give equal consideration for financial aid awards to full-time and part-time students.

To be eligible for federal or Saint Meinrad financial aid, you must meet and maintain our standards of satisfactory academic progress toward a degree or certificate. If you are placed on academic probation, you will lose all subsequent financial assistance until you are removed from academic probation.

Should you withdraw from the school while receiving financial aid, you will be responsible for repaying a portion of aid.

Remember to submit all applicable forms each year to receive financial aid.

Need-Based Assistance

Need-based tuition grants may offset tuition costs up to 80 percent, and grants are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis as funds are available.

You may apply for need-based tuition assistance by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form if you meet the following criteria: 

  • Be a citizen, eligible non-citizen or permanent resident of the United States;

  • Maintain progress toward a degree or certificate; and

  • Continue to demonstrate need on financial-aid applications submitted annually.

To apply, go to Our school code is G07276 (0 is a zero, not the letter O). 

Federal Direct Student Loans

Federal Direct Student Loans are available through the federal government. These are Graduate Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loans (up to $21,500 annually). They have a variable interest rate and are unsubsidized. That is, interest accrues on the loan from the date that it is disbursed. Saint Meinrad Seminary and School of Theology does not participate in the “Grad Plus Loans.”

To qualify for the Graduate Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loans, you:

  • must be enrolled in at least 6 credits per semester;

  • must submit a FAFSA form online; and

  • should contact the Director of Financial Aid at Saint Meinrad Seminary and School of Theology for further direction.


A number of part-time positions are available at Saint Meinrad for full-time or half-time students through the federal work-study program. Positions include clerical and other office work. Your FAFSA application determines whether you are eligible to participate in the program.

Lay Ministry Grant Program

If you are engaged in paid or volunteer lay ministry, you may qualify for an additional tuition discount. "Ministry" includes, but is not limited to, positions such as pastoral associate, pastoral life coordinator, director of religious education, music minister, catechist, chaplain, teacher in a parochial school, or denominationally sponsored social service provider.

To apply, submit the FAFSA form and the Ministry Verification Form, which is available from the Financial Aid Office.

Matching Grant Program

We will match an employing agency's grant up to $300 per term. You may apply for this grant each term - fall, spring and summer - by filling out the Matching Grant Form. Contact the Financial Aid Office to get the Matching Grant Form.

Diversity Scholarship Program

Diversity Scholarships are available to part-time or full-time students who meet the scholarship criteria. If you are of non-Anglo ethnic or racial heritage, you may qualify for scholarships while pursuing a master's degree or certificate in theology. For information or to apply, contact the Director of Graduate Theology Programs.

Government Assistance to Veterans

Saint Meinrad Seminary and School of Theology is approved for veterans' educational benefits under Section 1775 of Title 38 of the United States Code. The GI Bill® is a group of benefits available to veterans, service members, and immediate family members. Once the veteran has earned the GI Bill® through their service, the next step is to apply to use the benefit with the Department of Veterans Affairs. When the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is received from the VA, present the COE to the Office of the Registrar to finalize the certification process.

A covered individual is one who is entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits.

  • Saint Meinrad will permit any covered individual to attend or participate in the course of education as soon as the certificate of eligibility under Chapter 31 or 33 is received (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website e-Benefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes).
  • Saint Meinrad will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities. We will not require a covered individual to borrow additional funds, for the inability to meet financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under Chapter 31 or 33.

In addition, we ask Chapter 31 and Chapter 33 students to take the following actions:

  1. Submit a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance no later than the first day of a course of education.
  2. Submit a written request (email to use such entitlement (for each semester enrolled).

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Alumni Discount

You are eligible for a 30% discount on tuition if you hold a Saint Meinrad degree (graduate or undergraduate). You can apply discounted courses toward a graduate certificate, but not another degree.

For further information about all financial assistance opportunities, contact the Director of Financial Aid at 812-357-6518 or

Return of Title IV Funds

Title IV funds are awarded under the assumption that you will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When you withdraw, you may no longer be eligible for the full amount of Title IV funds that you were originally scheduled to receive.

Federal law specifies how your school must determine the amount of Federal Student Aid (FSA) assistance that you earned up to the time you withdraw. At Saint Meinrad, we apply the same guidelines to institutional aid.

When you withdraw during your payment period, the amount of financial aid that you have earned is determined on a pro-rated basis. For example, if you completed 30% of the term, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. The Office of Financial Aid will determine the actual percentage.

If you received less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned by the school and/or you.

If you are responsible for returning a loan, you have a six-month grace period to repay the loan. If you are responsible for returning a grant, you will incur a charge on your school statement.

The grace period for loan repayments for Federal Subsidized Stafford Loans will begin on the day you withdraw from the Seminary and School of Theology. You should contact the lender if you have questions regarding the grace period or repayment status.