The Institute for Priests and Presbyterates' Mentor
Training Program trains seasoned pastors who have been chosen
by their diocese to help recently ordained priests, newly appointed
pastors and newly arrived international priests transition
into their new ministry experiences.
A well-trained mentor introduces the mentee to his
new role and helps him avoid unnecessary obstacles, as well
as connects him with those who can assist in his
Training is conducted periodically at Saint Meinrad or can
be scheduled for presentation within your diocese.
The goals of the training are to:
- Help mentors understand their role
- Assist mentors in recognizing the distinctive aspects of
mentoring, compared to other relationships, such as coaching,
counseling and spiritual direction
- Define mentoring and the mentoring relationship
- Provide the background for a successful mentoring
What You'll Learn
Topics covered in the training program include:
- Empathic listening
- Reflections on pastoring
- Modeling proactive vs. reactive behaviors
- Case studies and role-playing
Cost for initial training is $2,450 for up to 12 mentors
(minimum 6), and $2,950 for groups over 12 (maximum 18). Materials
fee is $25 per participant. Travel expenses, including meals and
accommodations, are in addition to the cost of the training.
Cost for follow-up training is $1,250. Travel expenses,
including meals and accommodations, are in addition to the cost of
the follow-up training. Follow-up training is recommended for your
diocese's mentors between six and eight months following the
Contact the Institute for Priests and Presbyterates for your
diocese's personalized quote and to schedule training for your
See pp. 16-17 of our Resource for Diocesan
Directors of Mentor Programs
Scheduling Training for Your Mentors
To schedule training in your diocese, contact us:
By phone: (800) 357-8477
By email: email@example.com
By website: online inquiry form
Archdiocese of Denver
- "I think the mentor program is a good program. More
convinced of this now than before I attended the
- "The resources that were presented - out of this
- "I enjoyed the time and call to be part of this
Diocese of Kalamazoo
- "Great! To the point! I enjoyed it, learned a lot."
- "Overall it was a wonderful presentation on mentoring and
it was worth spending the time."
- "I had the opportunity to be listened to in context of
who I am as priest."
Diocese of Richmond
- "Good energy in the room with the priests. The
conversation about the material was very fruitful and helped me to
understand certain issues of which I had not been aware of
- "We were given ideas on best practices which was
- "Fr. Tom DiFolco was very good at facilitating our group -
Diocese of Savannah
- "Helped me to understand the importance of recognizing the
mentoring moments in day to day interactions."
- "The program and discussion were excellent. It was very
informational and I do feel better prepared for my role as a
mentor. I pray this will be a benefit to our young priests
making them more effective ministers to God's holy people."
- "A professional day that was grace."