of St. Bede Hall
In the 1940s, Saint Meinrad conducted a number of major building
projects. One of those was a science hall on the south end of
campus with much-needed classrooms, music rooms and an
The cornerstone was laid in 1948 and the building was ready for
use when the fall term began in 1952. Named St. Bede Hall in honor
of Bede the Venerable, a Doctor of the Church, the building served
the seminary well, particularly students in the minor seminary and,
later, Saint Meinrad College.
Classes were devoted to the natural sciences, music, art and
theater. Each year, a major play was produced, and other
entertainment and musical concerts were held regularly in St. Bede
When the College closed in 1998, some of the space on the upper
floors was converted to dormitory-style housing for youth retreats
and the "One Bread, One Cup" conferences.