For the Life of the Church
History of St. Bede Hall
In the 1940s, Saint Meinrad conducted a number of major building projects. One of those was a science hall on the south end of campus with much-needed classrooms, music rooms and an auditorium.
The cornerstone was laid in 1948 and the building was ready for use when the fall term began in 1952. Named St. Bede Hall in honor of Bede the Venerable, a Doctor of the Church, the building served the seminary well, particularly students in the minor seminary and, later, Saint Meinrad College.
Classes were devoted to the natural sciences, music, art and theater. Each year, a major play was produced, and other entertainment and musical concerts were held regularly in St. Bede Theater.
When the College closed in 1998, some of the space on the upper floors was converted to dormitory-style housing for youth retreats and the "One Bread, One Cup" conferences.