The affiliation of
lay men and women as oblates of Saint Meinrad Archabbey dates to
March 21, 1879, the silver jubilee of the founding of the
monastery. On that occasion, Abbot Martin Marty, OSB, Saint
Meinrad's first abbot [1870-1880], solemnly introduced the oblate
movement at Saint Meinrad.
Promoting the oblate movement was to be one of his main
objectives of the next 25 years. However, what was done to further
this movement is not known. Any records probably perished in the
great fire of 1887, which left only the sandstone walls of the
Abbot Athanasius Schmitt, OSB, Saint Meinrad's third abbot
[1898-1930], revived interest in the oblates. On November 18, 1906,
he received permission from the Holy See to allow students of the
major and minor seminaries to be received as oblates when they had
completed their 14th year of age.
Records of this movement begin with December 8, 1906, with the
enrollment of 21 students. Since 1924, men and women outside the
monastery and schools at Saint Meinrad have been enrolled as
Today, nearly 1,000 men and women are oblates of Saint Meinrad.
They strive to seek God and the glory of God in all things. Through
their witness, they extend the spirit of the Saint Meinrad monastic
community into areas where the monastic community cannot reach or
A the history of the oblate community was written in 2000 by
Edward L. Shaughnessy. The Benedictine Oblates of Saint Meinrad
Archabbey: A Brief History 1879-1999 is available from the
Saint Meinrad Oblate Office.